Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix blatantly uninitialized variable in recent commit.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix blatantly uninitialized variable in recent commit.
Date: 2011-02-17 17:23:14
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> I know that in Java you can get a positive number less than the full
> size as an indication that part of the block was written, and you
> must loop to write until you get all of it written (or get an error
> return). At this page, it appears that the same is true of the
> write function in C:

This is appropriate when writing to sockets etc, where the kernel is
willing to reflect details like packet boundaries back to userspace.
I have never seen nor heard of it being true for writes to disk files,
except for the case of out-of-disk-space, in which it is quite unlikely
that looping is a good thing to do.