Very large caches (was Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow)

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Very large caches (was Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow)
Date: 2003-01-20 09:41:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 01:14, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in> writes:
> > On 17 Jan 2003 at 12:33, Tom Lane wrote:
[snip]
> > and that is also the only way to make postgresql use more than couple of gigs
> > of RAM, isn't it?
>
> It seems quite unrelated. The size of our shared memory segment is
> limited by INT_MAX --- chopping it up differently won't change that.
>
> In any case, I think worrying because you can't push shared buffers
> above two gigs is completely wrongheaded, for the reasons already
> discussed in this thread. The notion that Postgres can't use more
> than two gig because its shared memory is limited to that is
> *definitely* wrongheaded. We can exploit however much memory your
> kernel can manage for kernel disk cache.

http://www.redhat.com/services/techsupport/production/GSS_caveat.html
"RAM Limitations on IA32
Red Hat Linux releases based on the 2.4 kernel -- including Red Hat
Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 -- support
a maximum of 16GB of RAM."

So if I have some honking "big" Compaq Xeon SMP server w/ 16GB RAM,
and top(1) shows that there is 8GB of buffers, then Pg will be happy
as a pig in the mud?

| Ron Johnson, Jr. mailto:ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I |
| tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
| the plane." |
| RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines |
| Flight 63 |