Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, Rasmus Resen Amossen <rresena(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off
Date: 2003-06-02 18:52:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In thinking about it, I don't see how we can ignore .psqlrc if it has
> autocommit set to off. Imagine I am in psql and I do '\i file', and it
> works, so I code up psql -c in a script, and it doesn't work --- would
> be quite strange.

What's your point? "psql -c '\i file'" doesn't work either.

Surely you don't want to have to put back all those SET AUTOCOMMITs again.
Yeah, it's a bit warty, but psql -c is inherently different from a psql
script. IMHO it's not reasonable to make (shell) scripts using psql -c
have to explicitly state the obvious, which is that they'd like their
command committed.