Re: Virus Emails

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Virus Emails
Date: 2002-07-27 06:35:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I seem to be getting virus emails that pretend to be one of your guys. eg.
> I get them from T.Ishii and N.Conway, etc. Anyone out there on the list who
> should perhaps scan their computer? :)

One of the nastier aspects of the Klez virus is that it searches
accessible files and webpages for email addresses. It doesn't just spam
all the addresses it can find --- it spams each address with a false
"From:" that's a found-nearby address. So mail-list archives are a
gold mine for it: it can spam you with a false "From:" that you will
probably recognize.

However, even a trivial look at the detail mail headers (Received: etc)
will convince you that the spam did not originate from the claimed
"From:" address. If you care to post a few sets of complete headers,
we can probably triangulate pretty quickly on the virus-infected loser
who's originating these messages.