Re: New Portal in Place, DNS switched ...

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New Portal in Place, DNS switched ...
Date: 2003-01-06 06:29:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 20:32, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Not even close ... in fact, most of the banners there are in recognition
> of those companies who themselves have provided invaluable resources for
> the project by providing mirror sites, to reduce the overall traffic hits
> on the central server ...

That's fair enough. However, many other OSS projects use a mirror
system, but AFAIK not one of them compensates mirror operators through
banner ads.

For example, consider the Debian project. Mirroring the Debian archive
requires FAR more disk and bandwidth than mirroring postgresql.org, but
yet (a) they have plenty of mirrors (b) they don't have any banner ads
on their website.

My guess is that most mirror operators won't mind not getting to run
banner ads on postgresql.org -- I'd think the reason they're hosting a
mirror in the first-place is to contribute back to the project...

Cheers,

Neil
--
Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC