Re: Kylix connection problem

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Geoff Jenkins <xtr960221(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Kylix connection problem
Date: 2002-12-17 12:46:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 02:59, Geoff Jenkins wrote:
> I am new to both linux, psql and Kylix - some familiarity with Delphi. I
> have tried running the Kylix3 demos and also inserted an SQLConnection on a
> sand-box app of my own but whenever I try to connect - eg set connected to
> true - and enter the user name and password, the su postgres name/pass, or a
> name and no password, I get an exception Name/Password access problem. I can
> run psql <table> as any user in a terminal window so the server is running.
>
> I installed Kylix as <myname> not root and have added postgres group to
> <myname>. hba conf file has default local, all, trust settings.

If psql connects and Kylix does not, the most likely reason is that
Kylix is trying to connect through TCP/IP to localhost and you have not
enabled TCP/IP access in pg_hba.conf.

Either force Kylix to connect with a blank host name, or add this line
to pg_hba.conf:

host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
^^^
(The second "all" is needed for PostgreSQL 7.3; omit it if you have an
earlier version.)

--
Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
LFIX Limited