passwords in pg_shadow

From: Terry Yapt <pgsql(at)technovell(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: passwords in pg_shadow
Date: 2002-12-02 20:32:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I have "migrate" a test server from 7.2.x to 7.3. All was ok (without regression tests yet), but I have a problem to connect to the server from all my client-odbc applications.

I have a:
"FATAL: Password authentication failed for user xxxxxx"

I have SELECT * from pg_shadow and I noticed about a difference with my 7.2 installation:

7.2 -> Password is text plain.
7.3 -> Password is md5 crypt or something similar.

If I change my md5 password from its encryption to plain text, I can connect fine.

It is the normal behavior or not ? The users and their passwords come from a pg_dumpall.

Thanks a lot.