Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Al Sutton <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>
Cc: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-26 20:12:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Al Sutton kirjutas T, 26.11.2002 kell 20:37:
> D'Arcy,
>
> In production the database servers are seperate multi-processor machines
> with mirrored disks linked via Gigabit ethernet to the app server.
>
> In development I have people extremely familiar with MS, but not very hot
> with Unix in any flavour, who are developing Java and PHP code which is then
> passed into the QA phase where it's run on a replica of the production
> environment.
>
> My goal is to allow my developers to work on the platform they know (MS),
> using as many of the aspects of the production environment as possible (JVM
> version, PHP version, and hopefully database version), without needing to
> buy each new developer two machines, and incur the overhead of them
> familiarising themselves with a flavour of Unix.

You could try out VMWare and run a linux virtual machine under Windows,
You could set it up once with all necessary servers and then copy the
files to each new developers machine.

VMWare is not free, but should be significantly cheaper than buying a
whole computer.

Hannu