Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From: "Hossein S(dot) Zadeh" <hossein(at)bf(dot)rmit(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs
Date: 2002-11-25 23:43:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 23:03, David Gilbert wrote:

> I'm on a bit of a mission to stamp out this misconception. In my
> testing, all but the most expensive hardware raid controllers are
> actually slower than FreeBSD's software RAID. I've done my tests with
> a variety of controllers with the same data load and the same disks.

Hi there,
Interesting observation. But I am just curious; is this still valid when
you have a DB server with, say, 95+% CPU utilisation??!! (I guess we all
know that if one don't get high CPU utilisation on a DB server, either
the owner has had too much money, or the DBA has some fine tuning to
do).

Hossein