Re: Problems invoking psql, was: Re: Troubles at Startup

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Hugh Esco <hesco(at)greens(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems invoking psql, was: Re: Troubles at Startup
Date: 2002-11-24 22:41:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 16:18, Hugh Esco wrote:

> So it appears that instead of copying the symbolic link, it copied instead
> pg_wrapper, renaming it in the new directory as psql.
>
> >hesco(at)biko:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql -U hesco template1
>
> hangs, and spins the hard drive interminably.
> So I open a second shell and do:
> >hesco(at)biko:~$ su postgres
> >Password:
> >postgres(at)biko:/home/hesco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
> >No database specified
> >postgres(at)biko:/home/hesco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql template1
>

> and that invocation also hangs, and spins the hard drive interminably.

Presumably it will try to call itself recursively. Since it does an
exec, each successive process will replace the one before.
> >biko:/home/hesco# apt-get remove postgresql-client
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >The following packages will be REMOVED:
> > postgresql postgresql-client
> >0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> >Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 4530kB will be freed.
> >Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> >dpkg: conflicting diversions involving `/Package: mysql-common' or
> >tall ok installed'
> >E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

I don't know what that's about; you probably have some package installed
that depends on either mysql or postgresql in some way, but I don't know
of any file diversions involving postgresql packages. What have you got
in /var/lib/dpkg/diversions?

> >biko:/home/hesco# apt-get install postgresql-client
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >Sorry, postgresql-client is already the newest version.
> >0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

You need to use the --reinstall option if the package is up to date:

apt-get --reinstall install postgresql-client

Then check the contents of /usr/lib/postgresql/bin. You should have the
following real executable files, which are installed by
postgresql-client:

/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/readpgenv
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createuser
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createdb
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/dropuser
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/dropdb
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_dump
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_restore

You should be able to do the following as user postgres:

$ /usr/bin/psql -d template1

or

$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql -d template1

and get a connection in both cases.
--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver