Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison
Date: 2002-11-20 18:53:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 12:16, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > He was then quoted as saying "They are a bigger threat to [Microsoft]
> > SQL Server than Oracle."
>
> I've always felt the same. In fact, I tried to persuade the president
> of Great Bridge to target SQL Server before taking on Oracle, without
> success.

I don't think you can really take on microsoft until you have native
windows support. For the few commercial companies that have a native
postgresql solution now, they should be marketing that like crazy.

<snip>

> Also, keep in mind that 80% of MS SQL server purchases are an included
> part of vertical applications ... that is, people are not buying MS SQL
> Server, they are buying ELBS or Great Plains Accounting. These
> purchases we will not influence until we can get similar commercial
> vertical apps to adopt postgresql.

yep, but I think our lack of a native windows version has kept a lot of
these companies from adopting us more so than anything else.

> This is a good opportunity -- MS SQL Server is weak and not getting
> better, and MS's acquisition of Great Plains was a dismal failure --
> financial software is sold on support, and MS support sucks -- so we
> could pick up and entire industry segment if we make the right
> alliances.

Robert Treat