Re: Problems invoking psql. Help please.

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hugh Esco <hesco(at)greens(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems invoking psql. Help please.
Date: 2002-11-20 17:00:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 15:03, Tom Lane wrote:
> Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> > execv() is a system call to run another executable in place of the
> > current process. If the other executable is not present, or does not
> > have permissions, you will not be able to run it. Find out why.
>
> Aside from access problems for the executable itself, it could be that
> there's a shared-library access problem. Perhaps ldconfig needs to be
> told where libpq.so is?

It's not the error message you would get for that:

olly(at)linda$ sudo mv /usr/lib/libpq.so.2 /usr/lib/libpq.so.2.bak
Password:
olly(at)linda$ psql -d bray
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql: error while loading shared libraries:
libpq.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK