Re: Problems invoking psql. Help please.

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hugh Esco <hesco(at)greens(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems invoking psql. Help please.
Date: 2002-11-18 10:46:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 20:24, jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net wrote:
> > You seem to have a very bizarre setup there --- there is no such thing
> > as "readpgenv" in the standard Postgres distribution, and
> > /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/ isn't the standard place to put the executable
> > files either. Perhaps the above is normal for the Debian package of
> > Postgres, but I'm afraid you'll have to ask the Debian packager for
> > help. Nobody using other platforms is likely to be able to help...
> I have Debian and Postgres installed from .deb package. Postgres is
> installed in /usr/lib/postgresql by default and it contains readpgenv.
> Psql stops working as described, when I remove executable attribute
> from readpgenv. readpgenv is a bash script and has only 3 lines:
> #!/bin/bash
> . /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
> env
>
> postgresql.env file is an export of PGDATA/PGLIB/PGACCES_HOME variables

Yes.

The reaon for its existence is that Debian policy prohibits reliance on
environmental variables, so I jump through this hoop to read them from a
predictable location (if they are not already set).

Permissions on /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/readpgenv should be 755. How
did they get unset?

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK