Re: Stack overflow issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Егор Чиндяскин <kyzevan23(at)mail(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stack overflow issue
Date: 2022-08-24 16:23:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

=?UTF-8?B?0JXQs9C+0YAg0KfQuNC90LTRj9GB0LrQuNC9?= <kyzevan23(at)mail(dot)ru> writes:
> Firstly, we decided to test the regex catalog functions and found 6 of them that lack the check_stach_depth() call.

> zaptreesubs
> markst
> next
> nfatree
> numst
> repeat

I took a closer look at these. I think the markst, numst, and nfatree
cases are non-issues. They are recursing on a subre tree that was just
built by parse(), so parse() must have successfully recursed the same
number of levels. parse() surely has a larger stack frame, and it
does have a stack overflow guard (in subre()), so it would have failed
cleanly before making a data structure that could be hazardous here.
Also, having markst error out would be problematic for the reasons
discussed in its comment, so I'm disinclined to try to add checks
that have no use.

BTW, I wonder why your test didn't notice freesubre()? But the
same analysis applies there, as does the concern that we can't
just error out.

Likewise, zaptreesubs() can't recurse more levels than cdissect() did,
and that has a stack check, so I'm not very excited about adding
another one there.

I believe that repeat() is a non-issue because (a) the number of
recursion levels in it is limited by DUPMAX, which is generally going
to be 255, or at least not enormous, and (b) it will recurse at most
once before calling dupnfa(), which contains stack checks.

I think next() is a legit issue, although your example doesn't crash
for me. I suppose that's because my compiler turned the tail recursion
into a loop, and I suggest that we fix it by doing that manually.
(Richard's proposed fix is wrong anyway: we can't just throw elog(ERROR)
in the regex code without creating memory leaks.)