Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: selkovjr(at)mcs(dot)anl(dot)gov, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1
Date: 2000-11-10 06:21:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I have also mentioned this on two occasions now, and each has met with
> total silence. I have come to interpret this to mean either (a) the idea is
> too stupid to rate a comment, or (b) go ahead with the proposal.

More like "oof ..."

You're right, it's *a* solution, but it'd involve a lot of tedious work.
It's not just adding a column to all the system tables. If I interpret
correctly what Mark and Gene are concerned about, it'd also mean
changing the code so that any update to a system-table row would
automatically clear the "I'm a standard item" flag. That's not just
tedious, it's also the sort of thing that will break because someone
forgets to do it someplace.

I think everyone is keeping quiet until they can think of a better
idea...