Re: 1600 Column limit..

From: Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>
To: "Williams, Travis L, " NPONS <tlw(at)att(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Tomcat <tomcat(at)mobile(dot)mp>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 1600 Column limit..
Date: 2002-11-14 01:52:51
Lists: pgsql-general

not really knowing the specifics, it seems you would want to describe
the table this way instead:

table #1
slot_number,shelf_id,port_number,item_type_id

table #2
shelf_id
shelf_name

table #3
item_type_id
item_data

I mean, what happens if some new shelf comes out with 25 slots and a
slot with 30 ports, or a new item per slot is added. You'll be forced
to redesign your schema.

just my $0.02

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 18:40, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:
> The reason we have that is we have 23 slots in a shelf (of equipment)
> and we have 23 ports in a slot. We are tracking 3 different items per
> port.. so we have 23 x 23 which is 529 x 3 which is 1587 individual
> items to track of which they are all a single digit. You add into that
> some misc. stuff like shelf name and poll_time and it becomes a mess..
> I just split them into 3 seperate tables.
>
> Travis

Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>