Re: Database replication... - Mission Critical DBMS's --

From: Bill Gribble <grib(at)linuxdevel(dot)com>
To: Greg Patnude <GPatnude(at)adelphia(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database replication... - Mission Critical DBMS's --
Date: 2002-10-30 14:24:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 17:56, Greg Patnude wrote:
> Does anyone know of a reasonable means of synchronizing two (or more)
> postgreSQL database servers in order to maintain two COMPLETE concurrent
> copies of the same database ?

I'm not sure how complete it is (just starting to look at this myself)
but 'dbbalancer' at least makes some claims to this. It acts as
(basically) a postgresql proxy server, and can send queries to multiple
servers. My presumption would be that if you initialize 2 databases to
a known identical start, have all the same triggers and rules on both,
then send all queries to both databases, you will have 2 identical
databases at the end.

Don't know how well that will work in practice tho. I should know more
in the next couple of weeks.

b.g.