Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys
Date: 2010-06-30 15:02:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:38, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> The example seems to me to be in the category of "so don't do that"
>> rather than something that we need to save users from. Yes, it's

> In that case, should we at least throw a warning?

I don't see a reason to do that. If we could distinguish actually
problematic cases from safe cases, it would be helpful, but we can't.

Moreover, throwing a warning would encourage people to do actively
*unsafe* things to suppress the warning --- like marking functions
as immutable when they really aren't.