Re: assignment type mismatch complaints

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: assignment type mismatch complaints
Date: 2002-10-26 23:34:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 18:27, Tom Lane wrote:
> Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> > How concerned are we about assignment type mismatch warnings?
>
> They're probably all "char versus unsigned char" complaints?
Probably. The first few I looked at are PG_GETARG_CSTRING to unsigned
char assignments. (I can send the whole list to either you, Tom, or the
list).

> There are a ton of them on compilers that care about it; most of
> 'em in the multibyte support. While it would be nice to clean up
> all that someday, I can't say that I think it's a really profitable
> use of time.
Ok, I understand that. It seems that there are a bunch, but they are
just warnings.

> One difficulty is that the obvious fix (add a bunch of casts) is
> probably a net degradation of the code. Explicit casts will hide
> mismatches that are a lot worse than char signedness, and so
> cluttering the code with them makes things more fragile IMHO.
> I think an acceptable fix would involve running around and changing
> datatype and function declarations; which is much more subtle and
> thought-requiring than throwing in a cast wherever the compiler
> burps.
Understand, and I don't expect it to happen in a beta test :-).

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org