Problem connecting to PostgreSQL on Debian Linux

From: Jeff Self <jself(at)nngov(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem connecting to PostgreSQL on Debian Linux
Date: 2002-10-25 15:22:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I've written a JSP that extracts data from a PostgreSQL database and
displays it in a web browser. I tested this on my iBook which is running
OS X 10.2, PostgreSQL 7.2.3, Tomcat 4.1.12, and Java 1.3.1. It runs
fine. So I copied the app over to my server which is running Debian
Linux 3.0, PostgreSQL 7.2.2, Tomcat 4.1.12, and Blackdown Java 1.3.1.
But I can't connect to the database on the Debian box.

Here's some of my settings on the Debian box:

Postgresql.conf
tcpip_socket=1

Pg_hba.conf
host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 ident sameuser

I've tried to connect writing a little java app to run from the command
line, but it fails: IDENT authentication failed for user "jself"

Here's some of my code:
Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:postgresql:jobdescriptions",
"jself"
""
);

I've downloaded the pgjdbc2.jar file from jdbc.postgresql.org and put it
in /usr/share/tomcat4/common/lib.

I run my java app the following way: java -classpath
/usr/share/tomcat4/common/lib/pgjdbc2.jar:. QueryJobDescriptions

Is my pg_hba.conf file wrong?

jself is the owner of the jobdescriptions database and has no password

--
Jeff Self
Information Technology Analyst