Re: 7.3.2 Regression Failures Worth Looking Into

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas T(dot) Thai" <tom(at)minnesota(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3.2 Regression Failures Worth Looking Into
Date: 2003-03-29 23:29:06
Lists: pgsql-general

"Thomas T. Thai" <tom(at)minnesota(dot)com> writes:
> NetBSD 1.6 / Alpha (64-bit)
> Postgresql 7.3.2 & 7.4-dev
> gcc-3.2.2

> I compiled 7.4-dev and had success with all regression tests. However when
> I went back to 7.3.2, about 15 out of 89 tests failed.

Failed how? Without looking at the diffs, it's impossible to evaluate
the seriousness of the issue.

> I'll be using 7.4-dev, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to the
> Postgresql community if I dig further to see why those tests failed;
> considering that obviously 7.4-dev fixed all of them.

AFAIK there are not any portability enhancements in 7.4 that might
explain such a difference. So the 7.3 results are interesting. You
should probably rule out pilot error though (does "select version()"
confirm that you rebuilt with the newer compiler?)