Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY
Date: 2003-10-01 22:43:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at> writes:
> db=> SET disable-fk-verification = true;
> ERROR: "disable-fk-verification" can only be set in single user mode

I don't really see the point of such a restriction. Restricting the
system to a single user has nothing to do with making
disable-fk-verification more safe. It would simply be an artificial
restriction making the feature harder to use.

Also, not very long ago we were speculating about the possible value of
parallel restore processes --- while I recall being unimpressed with the
likely gains, I wouldn't want to put a permanent kibosh on the idea by
adopting a philosophy that restores are supposed to be done in
single-user mode.