Re: Proposed LogWriter Scheme, WAS: Potential Large

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>, Antti Haapala <antti(dot)haapala(at)iki(dot)fi>, Curtis Faith <curtis(at)galtair(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pgsql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed LogWriter Scheme, WAS: Potential Large
Date: 2002-10-07 19:32:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 21:35, Neil Conway wrote:
> Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net> writes:
> > Ya, I have read this before. The problem here is that I'm not aware of
> > which AIO implementation on Linux is the forerunner nor do I have any
> > idea how it's implementation or performance details defer from that of
> > other implementations on other platforms.
>
> The implementation of AIO in 2.5 is the one by Ben LaHaise (not
> SGI). Not sure what the performance is like -- although it's been
> merged into 2.5 already, so someone can do some benchmarking. Can
> anyone suggest a good test?

What would be really interesting is to aio_write small chunks to the
same 8k page by multiple threads/processes and then wait for the page
getting written to disk.

Then check how many backends get their wait back at the same write.

The docs for POSIX aio_xxx are at:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/aio_write.html

Hannu