Re: tsearch2() trigger and domain types...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael D(dot) Stemle, Jr(dot)" <manchicken(at)notsosoft(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: tsearch2() trigger and domain types...
Date: 2007-06-18 22:59:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Michael D. Stemle, Jr." <manchicken(at)notsosoft(dot)net> writes:
> For standardization in my database I use a domain (login_t) for my login
> column in my profile table.

> Well, here's what I get upon every update and insert to the profile table:
> WARNING: TSearch: 'login' is not of character type

The tsearch trigger seems to insist that the column be text, varchar(n),
or char(n) ... no domains need apply :-(

I'm not real sure why it doesn't just invoke the column's output
function and be datatype-agnostic. Or at least do that when the
shortcut "I know what text looks like" path isn't applicable.