Re: PostgresSQL Halting System Boot

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: matt(at)ihella(dot)com
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgresSQL Halting System Boot
Date: 2005-12-03 17:38:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Matias Silva <matiassilva(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I just got done installing PostgreSQL 8.1. I have configured PostgreSQL
> to start automatically upon system start via an init script. Problem
> is that when CentOS boots it halts on "Starting PostgeSQL". I have
> to press the <Enter> key to resume the boot. It doesn't time out either.

> I notice the init script switches user.

> start)
> $ECHO_N "Starting PostgreSQL: "$ECHO_C
> su - $PGUSER -c "$DAEMON -D '$PGDATA' &" >>$PGLOG 2>&1
> echo "ok"
> ;;

Hm, where did this init script come from? Last I heard, CentOS was a
direct ripoff^H^H^H^H^H^Hrepackaging of Red Hat, but the RH initscript
for Postgres doesn't look like that.

In any case, the Postgres community isn't in a position to support other
vendors' repackagings of Postgres. I suggest trying the initscript from
the PGDG RPMs (if not the entire RPM package...) --- that one we can at
least answer questions about.