Re: - pg_dump issues

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: - pg_dump issues
Date: 2002-09-11 21:40:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 21:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> In the meantime, I think that we shouldn't mess with pg_dump's basically
> OID-order-driven dump ordering. It works in normal cases, and adding
> arbitrary rules to it to fix one corner case is likely to accomplish
> little except breaking other corner cases.

I can see that Lamar and I are going to have major problems dealing with
users who fall over these problems. There are some things that simply
cannot be handled automatically, such as user-written functions that
return opaque. Then there are issues of ordering; and finally the fact
that we need to use the new pg_dump with the old binaries to get a
useful dump.

It seems to me that I shall have to make the new package such that it
can exist alongside the old one for a time, or else possibly separate
7.3 pg_dump and pg_dumpall into a separate package. It is going to be a
total pain!

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK