Re: Point in time recovery 20020822_01_pitr.patch

From: "J(dot) R(dot) Nield" <jrnield(at)usol(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patch List <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Point in time recovery 20020822_01_pitr.patch
Date: 2002-08-23 05:27:09
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 00:29, Tom Lane wrote:
> "J. R. Nield" <jrnield(at)usol(dot)com> writes:
> > * CREATE/DROP database are still unlogged. dbcommands.c needs a
> > re-write to make that possible, since all the file and directory
> > operations will need to be logged, as will the data.
>
> Why don't you log the operations symbolically, viz "create database foo
> with template bar"? I can't see any reason to insist on a finer level
> of detail than that.

If you do symbolic logging like that, it forecloses any chance of adding
individual relation recovery, because the template might be ahead of the
log. That's main reason I avoided doing this with index builds. I don't
know if we will want that feature, but I didn't want to prevent us from
adding it.

> Just so you know: my feeling is this is already too late for 7.3.

I'm not in a position to answer this. I'll do whatever I can to address
concerns as they arise, and I'll continue to review my own work. Clearly
this is not a good area to find bugs "in the field".

--
J. R. Nield
jrnield(at)usol(dot)com