Re: COPY FROM with a serial not null column

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: John Taylor <postgres(at)jtresponse(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PgSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY FROM with a serial not null column
Date: 2002-08-16 16:19:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 16:20, John Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble using COPY FROM with a table that has a serial NOT NULL column.
>
> If I use psql to INSERT with a NULL value for the appropriate column, everything
> works fine, and the next value in the sequence is inserted.
>
> However, if I use COPY table FROM filename, I get an error:
> ERROR: copy: line 1, CopyFrom: Fail to add null value in not null attribute seq
>
> (The column in question is called seq).
>
> Does anyone have ideas how I can get this to work ?

You can't use sequences in conjunction with COPY; you have to fill in
the field in your input text file.

If it is a big file, you could use a tool such as awk or perl to write a
value into each line of input. After loading the file, you will need to
set the sequence value:

SELECT setval('sequence_name', last_value);

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK