Re: Open 7.3 issues

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 issues
Date: 2002-08-15 04:25:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 00:01, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > > Dependency - have pg_dump auto-create dependencies when
> > > data?
> > >
> > > Are we as far as we can go here?
> >
> > The only trouble maker is foreign keys. If there was a nice way of
> > finding foreign keys in 7.2 and prior it probably would have been
> > implemented a long time ago in pg_dump :)
>
> What about this.
>
> 1. Implement pg_get_foreignkey_def() or whatever

I've done the parsing of foreign key triggers required in the past for
various documentation purposes and it wasn't overly fun -- nor am I sure
it's right in all cases.

Find 3 triggers with is_constraint true between two tables that match
argument sets, split argument list by comma, first 4 aren't so useful,
the rest in pairs are source / destination columns. Foreign Key state
(deferred, match, etc.) is in the function naming convention.

If you want to give it a shot, feel free. Whatever method is in place
will need to work on 7.3 for those who didn't use a newer pg_dump on the
older database.