Re: Reindex time?

From: Ericson Smith <eric(at)did-it(dot)com>
To: Naomi Walker <nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reindex time?
Date: 2002-07-31 18:07:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Here's what I found when the thing was finally completed:

Hardware:
Dual AMD 1600+, 4GB Ram, 110GB RAID, 2GB in shared memory for Pg

Environment:
We turned off most access to the database, load was down to about .2
when we started. We *did not* run a single process, as the manuals
recommended.

Reindex took ~45 Minutes on a single table with 10 indices, and
1.2Million Tuples. The reindex process ran on only a single CPU.

- Ericson Smith
Web Developer
http://www.did-it.com
eric(at)did-it(dot)com