Re: Trouble porting a Oracle PL/SQL procedure to PL/pgSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: "Tony G(dot) Harris" <tgharris_1(at)juno(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble porting a Oracle PL/SQL procedure to PL/pgSQL
Date: 2003-06-17 04:42:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Tony G. Harris wrote:
>> The problem is, when I call the function, I get:
>> sql-practice=# select update_pay();
>> ERROR: pay_cursor: no such class
>> WARNING: plpgsql: ERROR during compile of update_pay near line 2
>> ERROR: pay_cursor: no such class

> I think it's complaining because you can't use pay_cursor%ROWTYPE.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't believe that theory at first because
the line number reference didn't point at the line with %ROWTYPE ...
but upon digging into it I find that plpgsql's code for determining
the line number to report is flat wrong for this case. (I've committed
a quick fix into CVS tip, but I wonder whether the whole mechanism
shouldn't be rethought. Calling plpgsql_scanner_lineno() all over the
place doesn't seem real clean.)

> Maybe declaring IndRec as being of type record may work (don't know
> for certain).

That's what I'd try. We don't consider that declaring a cursor creates
a named rowtype ... I'm surprised that Oracle seems to think it does.