Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Ron Snyder <snyder(at)roguewave(dot)com>, Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-14 18:34:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Oh, so try it with and without. I can do that, but it seems more of a
> security problem where you were trying two names instead of one. Do
> people like that?

The nice thing about it is you can have any combination of people with
installation-wide access (create them as joeblow) and people with
one-database access (create them as joeblow(at)joesdatabase). A special
case for only the postgres user is much less flexible.

> It is easy to do, except for the fact we have to
> match pg_hba.conf with a username, though we could do the double-test
> there too, if that isn't too weird.

It'd probably be better to first look at the flat-file copy of pg_shadow
to determine whether user or user(at)database is the form to use, and then
run through pg_hba.conf only once using the correct form. Otherwise
there are going to be all sorts of weird corner cases: user might match
a different pg_hba row than user(at)database does.

Also, if you do it this way then the substitution only has to be done in
one place: you can pass down the correct form to the backend, which'd
otherwise have to repeat the test to see which username is found.