Re: replace all with * in pg_hba.conf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Marc Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: replace all with * in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2003-12-19 17:11:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> why not do both, but deprecate the use of all in the docs? say with an
>> eventual goal of removing the use of all altogether in 2 releases?

> The extra value is fairly low IMNSHO if we can distinguish between a
> magical and a non-magical 'all' - see the patch I just submitted.

Also, your point about the special sameuser and samegroup keywords is a
good one. We should make those all work consistently (ie, quoting makes
it not a keyword). Going in the "*" direction would only make sense
if that were the only special case --- but it isn't. I don't think we
want to start choosing random symbols for sameuser, samegroup, and other
stuff we might think of in future.