Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

From: Robert Treat <rtreat(at)webmd(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Date: 2002-07-09 18:06:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I hate to play devil's advocate, but isn't the reason it is called
PostgreSQL now due to marketing? As I understand it, the name PostgreSQL
came about because the development team wanted to convey the fact that
Postgres95 was now an SQL based DBMS. From a technical standpoint
there's no reason it couldn't be called Postgres2002 or some such
nonsense, but it might be more cryptic as to what purpose it serves.
That's marketing, pure and simple.

Robert Treat