Re: Proposal: Add JSON support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Add JSON support
Date: 2010-03-28 23:08:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Robert Haas wrote:
>> I think you need to assume that the encoding will be the server
>> encoding, not UTF-8. Although others on this list are better
>> qualified to speak to that than I am.

> The trouble is that JSON is defined to be specifically Unicode, and in
> practice for us that means UTF8 on the server side. It could get a bit
> hairy, and it's definitely not something I think you can wave away with
> a simple "I'll just throw some encoding/decoding function calls at it."

It's just text, no? Are there any operations where this actually makes
a difference?

Like Robert, I'm *very* wary of trying to introduce any text storage
into the backend that is in an encoding different from server_encoding.
Even the best-case scenarios for that will involve multiple new places for
encoding conversion failures to happen.