Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: James Hubbard <jhubbard(at)mcs(dot)uvawise(dot)edu>, Dave Cramer <dave(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution
Date: 2002-06-25 15:41:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK, I have heard this before, but I would like to know specifically how
> is PostgreSQL harder to administer than MySQL. Knowing that will help
> us address the issue.

A few things that get to me:

Periodic vacuum and analyze. How often is enough? Whats cron?
Automated garbage collection makes all of the Java people happy ;)

ALTER TABLE / DROP COLUMN
ALTER TABLE / ALTER COLUMN <datatype>
ALTER TABLE / ADD COLUMN (as normal table creation)

Both are useful while putting together a quick system. Especially if
you project the ERD and PGAdmin processes onto a screen if working in a
group for a quick application. Explain while creating.

initdb is a seperate process. I've altered my Solaris startup scripts
to automatically initdb the data directory requested if it doesn't
already exist. Moving this into the postmaster itself, and
automatically generating the space would cut about 50% of the effort out
of the current install process. Install, run. Many installers probably
do this already.

Lastly, and hopefully partially fixed (soon?) is my main problem with --
Dropped that object but something else used it. Now it throws funny
errors.

Upgrades are a bit annoying, but if you've stuck with Postgresql long
enough to get to an upgrade process I'd say you're hooked anyway.