Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution

From: Dave Cramer <dave(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution
Date: 2002-06-25 15:12:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

IMO One of the big reasons that MySQL is viewed as being better is it's
percieved simplicity. It has a large following because of this, and many
of them are not experienced database users, in fact just the opposite.

This large user base is perhaps the best marketing that an open source
project can hope for. So I think that if we want to attract more users
we should try to make postgres easier to use. The hard part is how to do
this without sacrificing the integrity of the project. I think for
starters when evaluating the next feature we want to work on we ask the
following questions:

1) Does it make it easier to use for a non-dba ?
2) Does it facilitate making web-applications easier ( assuming that
this is the largest user base ) ?
3) I'm sure there are others, but at the moment I can't come up with
them.

Then if faced with a choice of implementing something which is going to
make postgres more technically complete or something which is going to
appeal to more users we lean towards more users. Note I said lean!

Dave