Re: beta3 & the open items list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beta3 & the open items list
Date: 2010-06-19 19:13:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Right now, if the SR master reboots unexpectedly (say, power plug pull
> and restart), the slave never notices. It just sits there forever
> waiting for the next byte of data from the master to arrive (which it
> never will).

This is nonsense --- the slave's kernel *will* eventually notice that
the TCP connection is dead, and tell walreceiver so. I don't doubt
that the standard TCP timeout is longer than people want to wait for
that, but claiming that it will never happen is simply wrong.

I think that enabling slave-side TCP keepalives and control of the
keepalive timeout parameters is probably sufficient for 9.0 here.