Re: count and group by question

From: Ryan Mahoney <ryan(at)paymentalliance(dot)net>
To: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: count and group by question
Date: 2002-06-19 23:00:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, so I tried both queries but they don't meet my requirement, I think
I wasn't clear. The methods suggested both return the aggregate count
as if the rows had not been grouped. What I am looking for is a count
of how many rows were returned *with* the grouping.

So, suppose there are 1000 orders total, but when grouped by product 200
rows are returned. I am trying to find a way to get that 200 not the
original 1000 count.

Does this make sense? The Union was really interesting, I haven't used
union very much - but I will now!

Thanks for your suggestions!

-r