Re: log_duration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: log_duration
Date: 2003-02-13 04:15:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One nice thing is that each element is orthoginal. But, for the
> functionality desired, we have to merge log_statement and log_duration
> and have it print for statements taking over X milliseconds. I have no
> problem adding it, but it has to be clear it isn't orthoginal but is a
> conditional combination of two other parameters.

Actually, I was wondering if we shouldn't *replace* the current
log_duration with a combined form (that specifies a minimum interesting
duration). I can't quite see the need for orthogonality here. The
only reason you'd care about query duration is that you're looking for
the slow ones, no? So why bother logging the fast ones? Besides, you
can specify min-duration zero if you really want 'em all.