Re: shared memory based stat collector (was: Sharing record typmods between backends)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: shared memory based stat collector (was: Sharing record typmods between backends)
Date: 2017-08-14 16:28:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Just FYI, the only values being reported by buildfarm animals are
>> "posix", "sysv", and "windows". So while mmap may be a thing,
>> it's an untested thing.

> I'm pretty sure I dev-tested it before committing anything, but,
> certainly, having ongoing BF coverage woudn't be a bad thing.

Looking closer, the reason those are the only reported values is
that those are the only possible results from initdb's
choose_dsm_implementation(). So the real question here is whether
"mmap" should be considered to dominate "sysv" if it's available.
If so, why isn't choose_dsm_implementation() trying it; and if not,
why are we carrying it?