Re: script

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: script
Date: 2002-05-24 13:02:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 03:21, Annissa Melhenas wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm new to postgreSQL,a dn I'd like to write a script that will insert all
> my entries (I have almost 800 000 entries)in a pgsql database.so, the
> question is : which script language can I use, and how do I use it (ie,
> how do I run it?)
> Thanks for your replies,

Look in the Novice Archives from earlier this week, for a
thread regarding the _exact_ same topic.

Question: what do your records look like? Is each field
delimited, or are they fixed-length? If they are delimited
(by tab, comma, etc.) and there are no double-quotes around
each field (or you can safely get rid of them with tr), then
the COPY will probably work great.

If you can't use COPY, then you must write a small program
(in the language of your choice) to massage the data before
INSERTing it. I use python, others perl and C.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..." |
| Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, |
! CNN, Larry King Live |