Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch

From: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
Date: 2011-06-07 17:21:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> iew. The
> reason we usually skip the summer isn't actually a wholesale lack of
> people - it's because it's not so good from a publicity perspective,
> and it's hard to get all the packagers around at the same time.

Actually, the summer is *excellent* from a publicity perspective ... at least, June and July are. Both of those months are full of US conferences whose PR we can piggyback on to make a splash.

August is really the only "bad" month from a PR perspective, because we lose a lot of our European RCs, and there's no bandwagons to jump on. But even August has the advantage of having no major US or Christian holidays to interfere with release dates.

However, we're more likely to have an issue with *packager* availability in August. Besides, isn't this a little premature? Last I looked, we still have some big nasty open items.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.