Re: OK, lets talk portability.

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OK, lets talk portability.
Date: 2002-05-07 17:00:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 15:31, Tom Lane wrote:
> mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> > In the current CVS directory, there is pgsql/src/backend/port directory.
>
> > I propose that this become a separate subproject and library.
>
> Right offhand, that seems a pointless exercise in relabeling code that's
> going to be the same either way. What's the actual value?
>
> > The reason I want this is because the semaphore support, specifically
> > multiple semaphores identified by a single key, has to be implemented
> > with shared memory and multiple semaphores. (Under Windows)
>
> I think you are confusing issues that are now private to the SysV sema
> implementation with things that you really need to do for Windows.
> Take a look at port/posix_sema.c for a less cluttered view of the
> semantics you actually need to support. (I don't suppose there's any
> chance that Gates & Co support POSIX semas, leaving you with no work?)

A quick google search came up with

http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/announcement.html

Unfortunately it seems to be the "wrong kind of free" software:

Pthreads-win32 is free software, distributed under the GNU Lesser
General Public License (LGPL).

Or can we accept dependancies on LGPL libs for some ports.

Hannu