Re: Optimizing the implementation of an optimized tree

From: Christian Rishoej <chrris(at)mail(dot)dk>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimizing the implementation of an optimized tree
Date: 2002-05-07 11:03:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 04:00, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Why not try Oleg and Teodor's tree module?
>
> http://cddb.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/
>
> You have to expend a little effort in implementing it as the README's in
> Russian :) Still has examples tho.

As far as I can tell Oleg and Teotor are doing *balanced* trees, and not
trees usable for containing a hiearchy of nodes where each node can have
0-N children.

It is my understanding that I cannot rely on the organization of a
balanced tree - hence the name "balanced" (nodes are inserted where some
algotithm thinks it fits in, not where I want it. Imagine if your
directory-hiearchy on your filesystem was a balanced tree...).

Does anyone have a clue on how to optimize triggers? Can I use another
language than PL/PGSQL? Would C be crazy when I do lots of SQL's and no
calculation in the trigger?

Christian