Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?

From: Mark kirkwood <markir(at)slingshot(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Jim Mercer <jim(at)reptiles(dot)org>, jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr, David Terrell <dbt(at)meat(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date: 2002-05-02 22:09:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 04:25, mlw wrote:

> IMHO, if we can come up with a strong, positive statement, it would help MBA
> trained CIOs and CTOs choose PostgreSQL. To them, it will show a professional
> minded development group, it will be recognizable to them.

I am not so sure about that -

In my experience the things that those guys use to decide on products
are :

1) reference sites
2) official support

(and they like to pay for a product 'cause they are used to doing
it...but lets not go there...)

Personally I find the lack of "business-speak" things (like mission
statements) refeshing, and I see it as part of the "values" that
differentiate open source / community based products from commercial
ones.

just my NZ4c (=US2c)

Mark