Re: pgdump 7.2 on pg-7.1

From: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>
To: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Subject: Re: pgdump 7.2 on pg-7.1
Date: 2002-04-30 16:58:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 08:54, Martín Marqués wrote:
> On Mar 30 Abr 2002 11:46, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > Le Mardi 30 Avril 2002 16:36, Martín Marqués a écrit :
> > > I need to load a DB that's on a PostgreSQL 7.2 system on a PostgreSQL-7.1
> > > system, and I'm getting lots of errors when I try to load it.
> > > Is there some kind of convertion tool?
> >
> > Downgrading to 7.1 is not recommanded as 7.2 offers many bug fixes.
>
> It's not a downgrade. They are two independent systems.
>
> > Why don't you upgrade the 7.1 database to 7.2?
>
> Don't have time to deal with that right now.

If you kept the SQL statements that generated your schema in the first
place you could probably replay them on your 7.1 database. Once your
schema was installed on the 7.1 database, then you should be able to use
pg_dump to dump out only the data. You might need to manually add
triggers and foreign key constraints, but it should be doable.

If that seems like a lot of work, you could simply upgrade to 7.2 :).