Generating Huge String?

From: Steffen Nielsen <styf(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Generating Huge String?
Date: 2002-04-23 08:55:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have tried using chunks technique when creating huge string for a stored
procedure (C code). I work like charm for small string, but when i create
large strings i get a "server closed the connection unexpectedly" :-( I use
palloc and repalloc for memory handling. Note! I made a standard C program
that just keept on making the chunk larger (read string), i never did crash
any. So what is postgres doing? (ps. the same happens if I use standard malloc
an realloc)

Any ideas why? (No continues block of memory is large enough or?)
And how does one normally handle Large strings in postgres?

\Steffen Nielsen