Re: Fixes for 8.1 run of pgindent

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixes for 8.1 run of pgindent
Date: 2005-11-15 14:09:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Do we really want to run cosmetic cleanups on a stable branch?

> Agreed, it is not a great idea, but if we don't, then 8.1.X and CVS HEAD
> will not match indenting, and patches generated by 8.1.X users will not
> apply cleanly to CVS HEAD. And if we don't run it at all, we then will
> have CVS HEAD with columns > 80 and incorrect typedef indentations.

I agree with Bruce here: better to keep 8.1 and HEAD matching as best we
can. I've already had problems with back-patching because the comment
indentation in 8.0 and 8.1 is so completely different --- manually
redoing a patch because patch can't figure it out is no fun and a likely
source of errors. Having to do it an extra time for 8.1 vs HEAD would
increase the pain and risk that much more.

One of the reasons I wanted Bruce to post the proposed diff was so that
we could eyeball-verify that it's only hitting comments. I think it's
worth a little more trouble to check the results given that we plan to
run it against 8.1.