Re: Client/Server compression?

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Client/Server compression?
Date: 2002-03-14 18:32:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Well, it occurred to me that if a large result set were to be identified
before transport between a client and server, a significant amount of
bandwidth may be saved by using a moderate level of compression.
Especially with something like result sets, which I tend to believe may
lend it self well toward compression.

Unlike FTP which may be transferring (and often is) previously
compressed data, raw result sets being transfered between the server and
a remote client, IMOHO, would tend to compress rather well as I doubt
much of it would be true random data.

This may be of value for users with low bandwidth connectivity to their
servers or where bandwidth may already be at a premium.

The zlib exploit posting got me thinking about this.

Greg